A long time beta reader of mine suggested I share some tidbits with you all. I’m horrible about getting sidetracked while doing live beta sessions, where gems like this tend to come out. But some of these bits are things that would never come up in the writing, so here they are.
I couldn’t do Azriel without doing his counterpart in my head, Xaphriel (O.O whose name I suddenly forgot how to spell. Xaphreal? Shit. I never type out his full name. It’s always just Xaph. ….brb).
(Ok, yeah, it’s totally Xaphrael, which is what I had down the first time. Why did I doubt myself? anyways…)
Azriel and Xaphrael are demons, though Xaph is more a behind the scenes kinda guy, for now. But Az is “Cait’s” and Xaph is “mine”, so they’re gonna do double duty for you today.
- Demons in general, but Azriel in particular, like to do author time share, where they just kinda pop in and out of whoever’s mind as they please. I still leave all the actual writing of Azriel to Cait, but in a pinch, I am certain I could do him justice. …if I could get Xaph to leave him alone long enough to write.
- Xaphrael has spent most of his “on screen” moments expecting to die. Unlike Seth, I always meant for him to survive, but he doesn’t know that. He first entered the story when he was sent to Azriel during Az’s stint as a demon executioner. He has since been “exiled” to earth, “sent” on suicide missions never meant for him, and skinned alive at least every other time I see him, though that last one doesn’t really bother him much.
- As authors, Cait and I don’t root for one side or the other. In a confrontation scene with Az and our heroes, we once used a coin toss to decide whether or not our heroes would escape. Once we’d done everything with the scene we needed to narratively, we kept flipping. Heads I win, tales you lose, I suppose. Az got a whole three extra “turns” out of this method.
- Az’s first fan, a former co-worker of mine, got to do the first coin toss. He was, of course, rooting for the demon.
- Fun bonus tidbit: I’ve named a character after said fan, though completely on accident.
- Bonus bonus tidbit: That is -not- the first character named after someone we know, and no, none of those cameos are deliberate. Some names are just kinda common, ya know?
So who would you all like to hear from next?